Restore Chester County
Economic Action Steps — Nonprofits
Nonprofits serve a variety of community needs, so challenges and adaptations vary based on specific activities. The initial impact of COVID-19 immediately led to a surge in demand at food banks, for example, which had to quickly scale up collection and distribution efforts. Inequitable internet access among clients has also complicated the transition to virtual service delivery.
Current Nonprofit Practices:
The following practices are being implemented by various nonprofits around the county and nation to address COVID-19-related disruptions. These practices may be helpful for nonprofits not currently using them.
- Stagger shifts for office workers and utilize videoconferencing for client and staff meetings.
- Shift fundraising efforts online.
- Utilize videoconferencing for services that can be provided to clients remotely.
- Utilize home and curbside delivery for distribution of essential items.
- Provide on-site childcare for employees and clients.
- Provide employees and clients with childcare voucher and connect them to available providers and/or Provide on-site childcare for employees.
- Provide opportunities for virtual staff interaction.
- Perform a detailed review of finances - balance sheet and income statement - to optimize revenues and mitigate expenses. Understand cash flow and liquidity today and forecasted.
- Work with funding sources - private and governmental - to adapt grant and contract restrictions and timing.
- Develop and implement a communication strategy focused on key partners, donors, volunteers and constituents.
- Engage volunteers appropriately in organization and program activities.
- Keep Board members involved in working with staff to assess and address organizational issues.
- Explore opportunities for shared purchasing and back-office services such as fundraising and technology platforms.
Actions to Support Nonprofits
The following actions by governments, economic development organizations, trade organizations, and others would provide support to nonprofits during the current COVID-19 crisis.
- Provide technical assistance with human resource needs, employee retraining, social media/marketing, safety guideline compliance, remote work set-up, technology, and grant or loan applications.
- Secure funding to provide internet access to low-income households.
- Coordinate shared used of office space and services among nonprofit organizations with aligned missions.
- Provide guidance on shifting fundraising to an online platform.
To see recommendations for other industries, click on the industry link below: